Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Inspiration after lunch

I've been taking a technology class at school for the past couple of days. With all the money and effort the school puts into technology stuff, it seems a shame that generally teachers don't know what's available both in terms of software and hardware.

It isn't (in most cases) that people don't want to know about it but more a lack of time and initiative. Kudos to the tech department for putting these little courses together -- they've really been helpful!

Today we learned about a program called Inspiration. Basically, it's an electronic version of brainstorming -- users can create graphic organizers and outlines. Users can also take a graphic organizer and turn it into an outline, which is a great teaching tool for the younger students who don't really understand how one generates an outline. Although it wouldn't be a bad tool for my juniors, who tend to be less proficient at writing and its attendant tasks than they'd like to believe themselves to be.

I played around with creating a graphic organizer for my second term units of study, which made me realize two things. One, I haven't touched anything for that term yet, and two, there's far more that I want to present than I'll be able to accomplish. I think that's the beauty and the beast of teaching survey courses: one gets to pick and choose from a wide variety of material, but there are just too many good choices out there!

No comments: