Friday, April 09, 2010

Back in the sub pool

Watching seventh graders do worksheets. On "rise/rose" and "lie/lay."

One of the reasons I don't teach junior high is my detestation of worksheets.

On other fronts, the teaching of Hamlet went well and I'm pleased with how it turned out. I wish I could spend a whole term on Shakespeare, and maybe one of these years I will do it. I'll blow through Beowulf and Chaucer and Sir Gawain in four weeks and then spend eight wallowing in Bardishness.

Fantasy Lit is coming back next year for another two-year cycle. I did two things differently than I did in previous years: I made potential students fill out an application and I strictly limited the class size to twenty. I think it's cut down on the number of goobers in the class pretty significantly. The students who've signed up are all die-hards, so they may be teaching me quite a bit!

I don't get to teach seniors next year, which is a disappointment; I've enjoyed world lit way more than I thought I would. I hope there will be a need for me to take a section in 2011-2012.

And since I'm not having a baby this summer, I'm exploring my options for more school. In all that free time I have.

No comments: